A true 20A continuous discharge current (CDR) cell that runs at moderate temperatures. This cell deserves its good reputation. This 25R5 green wrap cell is essentially identical to the earlier 25R2 blue wrap cell.
- These are the new green wrap cells. The older blue wrap 25R’s (25R2) were tested earlier: Samsung 25R Blue Wrap 20A 2500mAh Bench Test Results…a great 20A cell | E-Cigarette Forum
- What’s the difference between the blue wrap 25R2 and the newer green wrap 25R5? See this Battery Bro blog: Samsung 25R Upgrade – Green Samsung 25R5 vs. Blue 25R2 – 18650 Battery | BATTERY BRO The short version: Their performance is identical but we should get longer cycle life from the newer green wrap 25R5.
- This cell has great capacity and moderate maximum temperature of 77°C at 20A.
- Five additional cycles at 20A showed less than 1% loss in capacity and almost no voltage sag. A 10A discharge done after this showed a 1.2% loss in capacity. This is typical damage for a cell operating at its CDR.
- While operating any cell at its rated maximum current causes damage to the cell, I would expect decent cycle life from the green wrap 25R5 at 20A.
- A discharge at 25A brought the cell temperature to 91°C and dropped the voltage considerably. That’s too hot and will significantly speed up the damage done to the cell. This is a 20A cell.
- See my blog for more information on the testing procedures, equipment used, and links to all my test results.